background

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Corn Bags

I'm finally finding some time to do one of the things I love, sewing! So I thought I'd start with something easy and decided to make a corn bag! You know the kind you can stick in the microwave and warm up. So here's the materials you need. I bought 1/4 yard of denim to put the corn in and 1/4 yard of this cute flower pattern for the cover, and matching thread. If you're not feeling to crafty I'd be happy to make you one for $10!


I also bought this giant bag of whole corn from Atwoods!


Next I cut my denim material into two pieces. I made mine 14 1/2 L and 6 1/2 W.
Then came the hardest part for me. Remembering how to put thread on the bobbin. If only my handy boyfriend was around to help... Instead I had to resort to the manual. Know how to use your sewing machine!
Then I turned it inside out and began sewing around the edges of the denim. I left space at the top to put the corn in.
Here is a shot of the edges finished. I filled it up half way with corn.
Then I sewed it close twice just for good measure!
I then measured out my flower material. I made it 16 L and 8 W.
Here's a few shots of my sewing job. Please don't look to closely!

Here is the cover side by side with the bag.
Finished product and ready for my sore neck!














3 comments:

  1. Look at you! I sleep with my corn bag on a nightly basis! For real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL! I made those for Christmas for my family! I used cheap muslin for the actual bag. I used a serger for the inside seams. I also sewed the top seam twice! Did you just purchase the corn? I got my frist bag from Walmart and it was pretty clean, ran out and so did Walmart. So then I went to Thompsons and ended up with actual feed, it had food pellets and seeds as well as the corn. This weekend I purchased more fabric to make some more and would love to buy a new bag without all that junk to filter out. (= And I actually freeze mine. The chiropractor recomments icing muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got mad sewing skillz girl! Dumb question...what is a rice bag used for? I'm sure I'd love it though! haha!

    ReplyDelete